Sunday, December 8, 2013

Surprise!

Some decisions aren’t black or white. I understand that. Sometimes it’s what you believe in, like heaven and hell. To some they don't exist. For others, they give meaning to life. It's not even a matter of conservative vs liberal. There are always two sides. Fat and skinny. Ugly vs pretty. Smart or dumb.

Anyway, here I kneel, as nervous as a dog with severe separation anxiety, my bent knee aching, my back stiffening, anticipating her answer. If she takes much longer, I may not be able to stand. How embarrassing it will be if she has to help me up. 

It's probably only been a few seconds, but it feels like I'm in a doctor's waiting room. What's wrong? Why hasn't she responded?

Well, she is shaking, and her hands are over her mouth, and there are tears in her eyes. Maybe she responded and I didn't hear it. Maybe it was a curse word. Maybe her mouth locked shut. Maybe she swallowed her tongue. Maybe she's having a heart attack. Maybe I should have waited.

“Yes. Yes, I'll marry you." She bends down and kisses me, a wisp of gray hair tickles my cheek, and I feel relief. "When should I move in?"


What? Move in? With me? I didn't say anything about living together before we got married. It's too soon for that. We've only known each other for a few months. What's her hurry? Come on, Jack, think of something. OMG. What now? Like I said, not all decisions are black or white.

No comments:

Post a Comment